Last month, Apple launched its latest edition of smartwatches – the Apple Watch Series 8, Apple Watch Ultra, and Apple Watch SE 2022. As always the new watches come with new watch faces. If you want to use the new watch face on your Apple Watch Series 7 or older, then you can easily do it on your Apple Watch running on the watchOS 9.
watchOS 9 is the latest Apple Watch OS that boasts a stack of new features, watch faces, health features, a new workout app, and more. Apple releases a bunch of new watch faces with the watchOS 9, including the Nike watch face, Apple Watch Series 8 watch face, and the Apple Watch Ultra watch face.
In terms of compatibility, the watchOS 9 requires iPhone 8 or later running on iOS 16 or later version, and any of these Apple Watch models – Apple Watch Series 4, Watch Series 5, Watch Series 6, Watch Series 7, Watch SE, or newer models. So, if you want to try out the new Apple Watch faces, make sure you have any of these watches running on watchOS 9.
As I said earlier, you can officially add the new watch face on your older Apple Watch without sideloading any third-party watch face app on your Apple Watch, all you need to do is, update your Apple Watch to the latest watchOS 9. Here’s how you can upgrade your Apple Watch to watchOS 9.
How to update Apple Watch to watchOS 9 to get new Watch Faces
Last month, Apple released iOS 16 and watchOS 9, if your iPhone is running on iOS 16, then it’s good, but if it runs on iOS 15 or older, upgrade it to the iOS 16. Once upgraded, open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, if not available you can install it from App Store. After installing the Watch app, follow these steps.
- Open Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
- Select General, then tap Software Update.
- It will start checking the new updates available.
- You’ll see watchOS 9 or newer version, simply tap on Download & Install option.
- That’s it.
It will install the watchOS 9 software version on your Apple Watch. Once done, you can change the watch face on your Apple Watch with the new Watch Series 8 or Watch Ultra watch face.
How to get Apple Watch Ultra or Watch Series 8 Watch Face on older model
There are two easy ways to change the watch face on Apple Watch, once is by using the Watch app from the iPhone, which will add the new watch face to your watch after syncing. Whereas the second and the inbuilt watch face changer on Apple Watch lets you quickly change the watch face on your watch itself. Let’s take a look at the steps for both methods.
Change Watch Face from iPhone
- Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone running iOS 16.
- Select Face Gallery from the bottom bar.
- You will see New Watch Faces option at the top.
- You can select the Metropolitan face to try out the Apple Watch Series 8 watch face or World Time watch face to get the Watch Ultra face.
- Once selected, tap Add button, you can customize the face before adding if you want.
- That’s it.
Change Watch Face from Apple Watch
- Tap and Hold for a second on your Apple Watch’s watch face.
- Swipe to the left, to add a new watch face.
- Select New Watch Faces banner.
- Scroll down using the Digital Crown, find Apple Watch Series 8’s Metropolitan face.
- Tap add, then it will open the customization menu, you can change the watch face’s style, color, complications, dial, etc.
- That’s it.
You can follow the same steps for Apple Watch Ultra watch face, these are one of the easiest ways to get access to the new watch faces available on the watchOS 9. You can also try out the new Astronomy, Lunar, Modular, Playtime, and enhanced Portrait watch faces. Apple also pushed the Nike watch faces to the non Nike Apple Watch owners, you can follow any of the above-mentioned methods to add a Nike watch face on your watch.
If you still want to know more about adding Apple Watch Series 8 or Apple Watch Ultra watch face on older model, leave a comment below.