Samsung’s latest Galaxy Watch 5 comes with many smart features. The watch has Samsung’s own assistant, Bixby, which is quite useful for routines and when using other Samsung smart home devices.
What if you want to use Google Assistant or another popular assistant like Alexa? We have already shared a guide for Google Assistant, and now it’s time for an Alexa guide. Here I will share how to setup and use Alexa on Galaxy Watch 5.
The Galaxy Watch 5 runs on WearOS which allows sideloading apps like Android phones. Users can install apps from the Play Store or from a file. The user only needs to ensure that the app is optimized for the Watch.
Reasons to use Alexa on Galaxy Watch 5
There is no doubt that Google Assistant and Bixby are very useful and come in handy at times. The Alexa assistant is equally important. And it becomes even more useful if you use other Alexa devices, such as the Alexa Dot and FireStick.
If you’ve got a hub for Alexa smart devices but aren’t using Alexa on your watch, you’re missing out on a lot. You can ask Alexa to control any smart device that has Alexa built-in. It can perform functions such as turning on and off lights, playing music, reading news, sharing information, and more. And you can do it directly from your smartwatch after you set it up on your smartwatch.
Setting up Alexa on the Galaxy Watch 5 is a little different. If you haven’t used Alexa on a WearOS smartwatch before, this guide will save you a lot of time. Let’s start the guide now.
Download Alexa on Galaxy Watch 5
The Play Store is pre-installed on the Galaxy Watch 5, but the apps in the Galaxy Watch 5 Store are limited. Unfortunately, the Alexa app is not available for the Galaxy Watch 5 in the store. But some unofficial Alexa apps exist that work great if you just set them up. Here I am going to use an app called Ultimate Alexa Voice Assistant.
- Swipe up from the main Watchface of your Galaxy Watch 5 to access the App drawer.
- Now tap the Play Store icon.
- Search for Alexa, and you will find the Ultimate Alexa Voice Assistant; tap it.
- Tap the Install button to get it on your watch.
- Wait for its installation, you can use WiFi to install apps faster.
You can also install the application from your paired phone. All you have to do is go to the Play Store on your phone and search for the app. You can choose which device you want to install the app on. Simply select Galaxy Watch 5, and it will be installed on your watch.
Once you have installed the unofficial Alexa app on your Galaxy Watch 5, it’s time for its setup.
Set up Alexa on Galaxy Watch 5
To make it work, you need to link your Amazon account. It will be covered in this method, along with the setup process.
- Open the Ultimate Alexa Voice Assistant app on your watch; it has an Alexa icon.
- Once you open the app, it will show the required steps.
- Scroll down, and you will find a code and a button.
- Make sure your watch is connected to your phone, and then tap on the button that says “Sign In On phone.” Before tapping the button, login to your Amazon account on your phone’s default browser (this will make the process easier).
- It will open the Amazon authentication site in your phone’s default browser. Enter your password to proceed.
- Now enter the code that you found on your watch and tap Continue.
- On the next page, tap Continue and then Allow.
- Once completed, open the Alexa app again on your Watch and give the required permissions. It will ask for audio and call permission.
- At last, tap OK after reading the information on the screen.
That’s it; now you can ask Alexa anything like “what’s the time,” “what’s the current temperature,” and more.
How to use Alexa on Galaxy Watch 5
Now that you have set up Alexa on your Galaxy Watch 5, you would also like to know how to use it. This doesn’t work with the default method, which is by saying “Alexa,” so you will need to follow a different process.
- Open the Alexa app on your Galaxy Watch.
- In the app, you will see a big Alexa icon. Tap on it.
- Wait until you hear the sound, and then ask Alexa for any information or task.
- Alexa will speak the information right away.
- You can ask any question, such as the current time, current temperature, week’s forecast, recent news, and more.
Link Alexa Watch app to Phone
After the first setup, Alexa will work with limited features. And to get more features like using Alexa for making calls and reading notifications, you need to link the app to your phone.
- Tap the down arrow in the Alexa app on your watch.
- Tap on the gear icon to open the app Settings.
- Here, you can change options as per your preference. But for linking it to the Phone tap ‘Enable Calls, Texting, and Music’ option.
- Now tap on Install Link Phone, and this will open the required app on Play Store for the phone.
- Install the app on your phone and open it.
- The app will ask for a few permissions, Grant all the required permissions to make it work.
- After giving all the permissions, it will ask you to give a name to your phone. Choose your device name and save it.
- Now you need to link Alexa skill to your Amazon account. Tap the Enable Skill button to begin.
- This will take you to your default browser, tap Allow > Login with Amazon.
- Enter your password, and that’s all.
You can now use Alexa on the Galaxy Watch 5 to make calls from the phone, read notifications, read messages, and ask to play music on the phone.
Use Alexa on Galaxy Watch 5
So that’s all you need to do to get Alexa on the Galaxy Watch 5. Except for the Alexa Shortcut commands, which only work on Alexa devices, it works flawlessly. To use Alexa commands, you have to open the app and tap on the icon.
In case we find new ways to use Alexa with more features, we will share them here. And if you have any queries, let us know in the comment section.
Galaxy Watch 5 Guides: